Sam Cotter is a Toronto-based artist whose practice exists at the intersection of research, text, and image. Cotter regularly employs photography, film, and installation to examine issues of visual representation and artifice. Central to the construction of all of his projects is an embedded documentary element mediated through a self-reflexive filter. Cotter received a BFA from Ryerson University in 2012. Recent exhibitions and projects include Reciprocity – a failure to communicate, a special commission for C Magazine’s participation at the L.A. Art Book Fair (2015), Spit and Image at Ryerson Image Centre (2014) and An Exhibition (with Fraser McCallum) at Xpace Cultural Centre (2014). Cotter will curate a group exhibition at Gallery TPW in the summer of 2016 and have a solo exhibition at Zalucky Contemporary in the fall of 2016.
Sam can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
SELECTED PROJECTS AND SOLO EXHIBITIONS
• TBA Solo Exhibition, Zalucky Contemporary, Fall 2016.
• TBA, Curator of group exhibition at Gallery TPW, Summer 2016..
• Reciprocity — a failure to communicate, Commissioned and published by C Magazine for L.A. Art Book Fair, 2015.
• Spit and Image, Ryerson Image Centre, 2014.
• Practical Science (Findings for a Traveling Display), Roadside Attractions, 2014 (with Fraser McCallum)
• An Exhibition, Xpace Cultural Centre, 2014 (with Fraser McCallum)
• Two Geniuses: Sam Cotter and Fraser McCallum, I•M•A Gallery, 2012.
• Act for a Shell /Architecture Study Centre, Ryerson University, 2012. (with Fraser McCallum)
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
• Discovering Nothing, Unit 307, Montreal, Winter 2015
• Performance: Card Shark, Doored 15, Life of a Craphead/Double Double Land, Spring 2014
• Maximum Exposure, Ryerson School of Image Arts Thesis Show, Gladstone Hotel, Spring 2012
• Reawakening Image Arts, Ryerson School of Image Arts, Spring 2012
• Aligned by circumstance, Gallery 1313, Spring 2012
• In Broad Terms, Steamwhistle Gallery, as a part of Contact Photography Festival, 2011
2012 Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario.
Image Arts – Photography Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours)
SELECTED SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
• 2014 The Critics Respond (C Magazine Panel Discussion), Feature Art Fair
• 2014 What is Emerging, Gallery 1313
• 2014 Critics in the Round, Luff Art + Dialogue
• 2013 Urban Strategies for Howling into the Void, Trampoline Hall
• 2013 Chih-Chien Wang, Canadian Art Foundation Gallery Hop
• 2013 New Modes of Image Making, Contact Photography Festival
• Toronto Arts Council Project Grant for On Location, 2014.
• Ontario Arts Council Exhibition Assistance for An Expedition, 2014.
• Ontario Arts Council Exhibition Assistance for Two Geniuses, 2012.